Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Found 84 cents

I found 84 cents yesterday. In the daylight when I got out at the night deposit, because the funds I was depositing didn't immediately need posting, I saw change. Lots of dimes, nickels and pennies around and under my front driver-side tire.

Plenty of people were in line at the drive-up tellers. I didn't care that they were watching. I tell you, I was on my hands and knees scooping up those coins like a penniless pack rat. I even backed my car up a bit, so those few rubber bound coins under the tire could be retrieved.

Who loses that much change unless it's on purpose. Tacky little coins, heavy metal, weighing down the big bucks in our pockets. Just toss them away. Or maybe someone accidentally spilled their coin purse and didn't take the time to pick them up because they were in a trot, an unstoppable hurry.

In our culture, we often trade money for time. The benefactors: McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, Dry Cleaner/Laundry? Can you think of other money exchanges you make, shoving that debit card into unfamiliar hands so you can gain time?

Are you the type who picks up a penny, or do you leave it for the next person (with good knees that don't crack and pop when they bend that low)?

Sometimes you have to stoop down for blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment