Monday, August 07, 2006

Help me meet them

I'm home a lot. No, I'm not ill, unable to drive (but when gasoline is five dollars a gallon, who knows), or have agoraphobia, the fear of crowded places. We operate our trucking business from our home and I write here, too.

I'm not fond of shopping, even grocery shopping. And I always feel a bit guilty that I don't swoon when it's time to go to the market. We have money, transportation, and appetites, shouldn't I be eager to go? I usually say a prayer of thanksgiving at some juncture of the trip.

Anyway, all that to say I'm home a lot. I don't get a lot of opportunities to meet people outside our church fellowship who are seekers. One day recently, I told God that if he had anyone in mind that needed help, if he could send them by, I'd pay attention.

A few days later, I walked out my door and a woman was coming up the back sidewalk. Now, we live in the country, and strangers on your backdoor steps is a rare occurrence. She was looking for an address of a cousin. From her description, he should have lived right next door to me. Nearby neighbors I know, and he wasn't one of them.

She was upset to not find him. Didn't seem to want to say why. She finally admitted that he was to loan her money for gasoline that week. I invited her in, and I gave her enough money to buy a bit of gasoline. When I went to get the money, I also grabbed my book and signed it and gave her a copy. Her hug and profuse thanks stayed with me, is still with me a month later.

I really don't know who needed to be reminded of God's part in our daily happenings, me or her. I've been praying for Angie J. I've also been asking God to place more Angies on my back door steps, or even in a grocery store aisle.

1 comment:

  1. I hate grocery shopping too but I agree, it is amazing the people God can put in your path. I've met a few at the mall who have needed a word of encouragement. They probably don't talk to me at the grocery store because I'm grumbling to myself most of the time.

    ReplyDelete