Friday, October 12, 2012

Politcally Correct or God Corrected

Prayer may be the most humble act of dependence we’ll ever experience.
            I watched an independent three-year-old tie his shoelaces -- “all by myself.” I offered help but he refused. He knotted the two laces, over looped, under looped, twisted, and tucked. Satisfied with his work, the laces perched in two tangled masses on top of his shoes. I knew the strings wouldn’t do their job after five steps.  
            Unfortunately, the I-can-do-it myself spirit never completely goes away. At mid-age, we remain enamored with ourselves, thinking we can “handle” whatever comes our way. By our senior years, we don’t want to bother others, and we wish to take care of ourselves. We like our independence. I like mine, and I imagine you like yours.
            I’m oversimplifying what has happened in our nation, but I think dependence on self has caused most of our woes. When we think that we know better than Almighty God how to live our personal lives and govern a nation of peoples, we fall into the decline of idolatry. Self becomes god.
            More laws would not help. We know that morality cannot be legislated. Laws exist against driving while under influence of mind-numbing substances. However, the law on paper doesn’t keep those drivers off the roads and endangering the lives of others. Only personal convictions of the heart can do that.
            Our choices have caused a downward spiral. Personal worlds inflated with self as god turns to illegal drugs (prescription drugs, too) to numb their senses. One drug cartel in Mexico reaps one and half billion dollars because we are addicted to pleasing self. Thousands have died from drug overdoses, and thousands more have died in the drug wars as cartels maneuver to ship drugs into the United States. We have their blood on our hands because of our insatiable desire to escape our undone lives. Independence from God has a high price tag.
            While some in government seek the counsel of God, others tout blatant sins -- the opposite of Judeo and Christian values. It’s no secret that we allow the killing of unborn babies for the sake of convenience. The general media seeks to influence and “entertain” us with stories of sex outside of traditional marriage, of men marrying men and women marrying women, throwing humor into the mix so we’ll swallow the ungodliness.
            Those who cling to God and traditional values (that God put in place for the good and safety of humankind) experience the ridicule and labeling of “old fashioned” and “out of touch with the postmodern world.”
             The surmounting problems of not only our lives, our nation, and the world seem overwhelming. Questions come to mind: When did we become politically correct, instead of God corrected? What can I do? How can one person do anything to influence change for a better world, a better nation?
            The answer remains simple. We can depend upon God, exercising the privilege of prayer and voting. We can stop spouting political views, arguing, and forwarding nasty emails about candidates or our president. How many have equaled their prayers with the forwards of derogatory emails? This is what I’m praying these days: “Lord, I give up. I have no wisdom about this. Please place in office the one who will bring us back to you.”  
            We’re an old nation that has lost its bearings, and we need a Caretaker, someone besides our politicians. Join nearly 50,000, already praying Sept. 28 – Nov. 6 using Max Lucado’s prayer guide. It’s not politically slanted prayers. They admit dependence upon sovereign God. The acronym USA aids in remembering to pray three things: Unite us, Strengthen us, and Anoint and Appoint our next president.
            One verse always seems popular during election times, as a guide to a past straying nation, it hinged on the word “if.” Read it afresh today. The outcome of our nation depends on how you will comply with that word “if.” “If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land” (2 Chronicles 7:14).  
            Hunger for Humility (week 41):“If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.(2 Chronicles 7:14)
            Cathy Messecar welcomes comments at www.cathymessecar.com

No comments:

Post a Comment