Sunday, August 28, 2005

God said, I have come down

One of my favorite Bible chapters is Exodus 3 where God makes revealing "I" statements about himself to Moses. God chose Moses to negotiate with Pharaoh, and a contest between the gods of Egypt and I AM was scheduled.

First, God got Moses' attention, then Moses reluctantly enlisted. On that day, God made telling remarks about himself. He even used a visual aid, a flaming bush that remained verdant green. On that day, God appeared on Moses' path, and lit two fires, one in a green plant, one in the 80-year-old novice negotiator, Moses.

God's Resume as presented to Moses (Exodus 3 NIV):

vs 6-- I am the God of your father

vs 7--I have indeed seen the misery of my people

I have heard them crying

I am concerned

vs 8--So, I have come down

vs 9--the cry has reached me...I have seen...I am sending you.

vs 12--I will be with you

vs 14--I am who I am

vs 15--say to the Israelites, I AM has sent me (Moses) to you...I am to be
remembered from generation to generation

vs 16--assemble the elders of Israel and say to them...I have watched over
you

vs 17--say to the elders, I have promised to bring you up out of your misery

vs 19--I know the king of Egypt

vs 20--I will stretch out my hand and strike...with wonders

I will perform among the Egyptians

vs 21--I will make the Egyptians favorably disposed toward these people.

The same God still ignites fires in his servants' hearts today.

No comments:

Post a Comment